But it might disrupt my schedule.
A mother’s life is full of disruptions.
Company disrupts my daily routine.
He constantly disrupted the class.
There was a disruption in power and later I had to reset all
the clocks.
The two fawns in the backyard were a welcome disruption in the conversation.
The trees disrupt my view of the sunset.
Life is full of disruptions.
Once the train of thought in my mind is disrupted by an interruption
it is sometimes impossible to get that train back on the track.
-
Write it down.
That has always been my rule. If I don’t write it down, it
might be lost forever. There is no way to prove this however since I can’t
remember the things I forgot because I didn’t write them down.
It seems that social media and local news media and
entertainment have been training my brain in disruption. Shows and movies are
disrupted by commercials, news programs are tiny bits of information strung
together by meaningless comments meant to entertain, songs are cut short for an
unimportant announcement. In my own brain, I can be quietly thinking about a
project or situation and suddenly something else rudely pushes it out of the
way to take up the working space in my mind.
But then again, I’ve always had this problem. I’ve never
been diagnosed, but friends have mentioned the ADHD brain. I’ve read books on
it and have found I’m already doing some of the things the experts suggest.
Like writing things down.
There have been a lot of disruptions to my life this past
year and I’ve gotten lazy with my writing routine. One technique I used on a
regular basis I gave up because in my stressed state I thought it was just too much
… one more thing … and I was tired.
But I’ve recently picked it up again. I keep several notepads
and sticky notes near me wherever I am. When the thought pops into my head I
write it down. Since I started The Practice up again, I’ve felt better, more focused,
calmer.
Maybe it wasn’t social media after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment