Books and other things

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Why is it wrong?

 

Terimakasih0 - Pixabay

Question

Questions are good. In fact, I just read that the Jewish people in ancient times believed that questions were sacred.

I was not raised that way, however. I have found that most of the people I have dealt with professionally were not raised that way either.

As a child I questioned everything. In high school I questioned how my parents raised me and I questioned the leadership at my church. This was met with mixed responses. Yes, I could have been more graceful with my questions, but I was desperate to know and understand differences, at that time, between my friends at school and my family circle.

I learned to be careful asking questions by the time I got to college. Unfortunately, most of my professors were also raised as I was: Don’t ask questions. Just do it.

But I have never been fully squelched of my need to ask questions.

It drives people crazy sometimes.

So, when I started my work as a reporter I was in heaven. I got to ask questions AND write them down! Wonderful!

I met a lot of people who were raised not to ask questions. I knew how to handle them because I had half a lifetime of experience getting information from people.

And I realized that I wasn’t the one at fault. I never was.

I was actually beaten up emotionally for being curious.

So, I raised my children to ask questions and I welcomed questions. It was challenging because sometimes they asked questions I was not prepared to answer. I worked hard not to be offended and practiced, “hold that question, I’ll get back with you.”

And I did.

I truly believe questions are sacred.

We should treat them as such.

 

_RHTM_



No comments:

Post a Comment

Some

  As the birds sing in the day, I think of some success. Some success in writing – I’ve done a ton, articles, books, stories, press rele...