Books and other things

Friday, July 15, 2022

PROPOSE

I would like to propose a toast:

To the independent thinkers, taking their time making decisions, sticking to them when they become unpopular and the subject of ridicule

To the people that stick to their morals when they are called “old fashioned” or “antiquated” or when they are laughed at or made fun of or shunned

To the artists that do their art in secret, invisible to Facebook, Instagram, and all other social media, working to create the thing in their minds and hearts, the thing that needs to BE

To the persecuted

To the secret prayers

To the writers who are true to themselves, unwilling to sell out, unable to write someone else’s story, happy to remain in the shadows, filling hundreds of notebooks, blogging, printing to folders, saving the best, sending to friends for encouragement, listening to conscience, doing the work

To the day laborers with aching feet, sore backs, grateful eaters, thankful buyers, blessed sleepers, happy family members, content in their place, doing the work God gave them to do

To the retail workers who take verbal abuse from the selfish, the entitled, the unhappy over-spenders, the con-artists and thieves, as they smile and wish them a good day – and mean it

To the young moms surviving each day and loving their children

To the young wives serving their husbands even when they are frequently unnoticed

To the people who have given up expectations and look to Jesus for the scope of their day

To the forgotten

To the forgiven

To the invisible

 

I propose a toast to you, Dear Reader

May the small blessings of your day be sweet.

3 comments:

  1. I'm old school and I'm obsolete,
    working with my hands, not head,
    and I would rather use my feet
    than a car e-bike, instead.
    I like to drink generic beer,
    and boxed wine is my choice,
    which, I think, should make it clear
    that I have no hipster voice.
    My ballcap shouts Winchester,
    the fave of San Juan Teddy,
    and in me victimhood won't fester,
    so if we may meet just be ready
    for a bloke who's first to last
    walking out of manhood's past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raising my glass with you and wishing blessings on all.
    Visiting from FMF#15

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is YES! Let us remember....

    ReplyDelete

Announcement

Announcing my newest book of prayer meditations, Before Tea, God . These short meditations might challenge you to view your faith life in a ...