Books and other things

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Begin

 

aKs_phOtOs - pixabay

Begin

The other day I had coffee with a friend. We talked about goals, books, writers, workouts, and coffee. We’ve known each other for a while so there’s lots to talk about, but we have both silently agreed that some of our shared history doesn’t make for good conversation. You know, the kind where the more you talk about things that happened, the more you feel bad, sick, angry, neck and shoulders tensing, mood taking a jump off the Cliff of Hopelessness.

Two weeks ago I began my life again (you could call it a reset if you like). A recent book motivated me to restart my workouts, restructure my days, and reinvent my goals (vision, dreams, wishes).

I was stuck and I was trying to go back to old methods to get where I wanted to be. Old work out videos were either too hard, too boring, or too annoying. Old methods weren’t working.

But this book gave me encouragement and motivation.

Start small.

Baby steps.

Do what you can.

I won’t bore you with my routine, or with my successes or failures, because it doesn’t matter anymore. What matters is beginning.

And each day I get a new day to begin.

God gives me a day.

I talk to Him and write my list.

Then I do it.

And doing it involves saying to myself I really need to do the thing (because I will feel better, because I promised that person I would, because God told me to) that makes me feel better even if I have that two-year-old inside me stomping her feet and saying, “No!”

Doing it means pushing myself a little, but being kind to myself when I don’t do as much as yesterday.

Doing it means I have created a vision – doing this thing every day and believing I will get better, just a little at a time. I felt better after three days, so I keep going because I want to keep feeling better (physically, mentally).

Thank You, God, for my friend that knows that talking about the past can be unhealthy for me and talking about books and new workouts and goals and You is the best motivation.

And so, I begin.

_RHTM_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some

  As the birds sing in the day, I think of some success. Some success in writing – I’ve done a ton, articles, books, stories, press rele...